Friday, April 02, 2010

SAINT THAYUMANAVAR

Thayumanavaswamy, a great sholar-saint of tamil nadu, lived in the 18th century. He was holding a high position in the kingdom of Tiruchirapally ruled by Naicker kings. He relinquished that post and became a disciple of one 'Mouna Swamy'. This guru initiated Thayumanavar with the mantra "Chumma Iru" which conveyed a great tatwa. Saint Thayumanavar composed more than 1400 poems in tamil and in a few poems he has brought in this mantra, "The highest Bliss is "chumma Iruppathu" and without knowing this truth I am struggling in this world". Thus goes a song. In another song he says "when the mind is kept quiet, Bliss is experienced. You cannot attain this by any amount of worldly knowledge. Alas! You are in1mersed in kanna in this deluded world. "Yet another one declares "it is not that easy to realise the truth that 'keeping quiet , is the infinite bliss -poornam." A few other poems conveying vedantic truth authored by the saint are translated in English and given below:

1) Contented with the minimum physical needs of food, clothing and shelter, serve the mankind and be one among them.
2) May I remain like a bee (sucking honey)seeking only the good aspects of life.
3) If I am a mere observer of a thief, he will run away sensing my watching him. When God watches us we dare not entertain evil thoughts or do evil thoughts.
4) This world is temporal and fleeting. Today’s 'living' is tomorrow's dead.
5) The cosmic dance of Lord Nataraja is symbolic of the dance of sub-atomic particles.
6) The grace o{God cleanses all the karmas -prararbdha, sanchita and agami similar to fire destroying the entire cotton in store as well as in process.
7) He is like a gooseberry tasting bitter first and then sweet.
8) You may won over anger; you may get siddhies. They do not lead you towards Him. Only those who have won over the mind are worthy to have Him.
9) By seeking Him one views opulence and abundance as one.
10) I am caught as a sugar cane in the elephants (ego ) mouth. Help me to come out of it. 11) Let me feel the fullness-poornam-anantham everywhere. 12) You are my Mother; treat me as a cow treats it calf
13) Drop thoughts one by one and you will reach that thoughtless stage of Bliss. 14) Help me to get rid of thoughts.
15) Let me attain the stage of sleepless sleep. 16) Not a single atom move without Him.
17) Realise that this body is temporal. Catch hold of the Eternal. 18) You are the life-principle in and out everywhere.
19) You express fully in those who have outlived the attraction of senses.
20) Keep quiet and realise Peace- thus spake the Enlightened. Ignoring this wisdom I am struggling in the thick forest of likes and dislikes.
21) God's Grace bestow Eternal Happiness in and out. May I crave for His Grace. 22) Make me fit to serve others, thereby happiness comes on its own accord.
23) Let me get dropped in that wisdom-knowledge like a iron dropped in fire.
24) Crows flock together to share the food. May we flock together to drink the nectar of happiness which is in front of us.
25) Let me see you through my inner eye and not by my words nor through my mind.
2.6) I am caught in hypocracy and deceit. When shall I escape from them? 27) Let me get out of the split personalityand know my Reality.
28) No learning, no hearing, no attachment and no struggle in mind. This is the state of those enlightened enjoying Happiness.
29) My mind is the temple and thoughts about you are the fragrance and Love is the ever- flowing offering.
30) May I yearn for the pure knowledge without any concept whatsoever .
31 )Mind is the mischief monger which wantonly challenges my equanimity.
32) Enlightened ones possess the knowledge of the past, present as well as the future; but they seldom exhibit the same.
33) May I experience that state which does not express either in form or without form.
34) You are incomprehensible; you are beyond the three stages of waking etc and even beyond the fourth stage ofthureeyam.
35) I am dragged in this ocean as if a tiny twig. When shall I understand you and your might?
36) You have painted a beautiful picture of the universe and left me realise my place in it. 37) Silence is the language of the wise who have discovered you and become one with
you.
3-8) You are the potential seed from which arise the entire universe.
39) Prana and apana which are with us from birth to death, I offer as dhoopa-dheepam and thus I do pooja constantly.
40) You are indebted to release me from this prison by showering your Grace.
41) If you turn your back to the lamp you cannot see the light. How can you get enlightenment when you walk in the opposite direction
42) I wonder who taught you to forget your origin and lead this temporal worldly life. 43) In all the darsans (system ofphilosophy) you are the axiom.
44) Be optimistic. There is no hardship for you in this life. Life is Bliss.
45) "All the living beings should enjoy the Bliss". I aspire this and nothing else.
46) "This world is real. I the physical body is real" thus I all4 engrossed in ignorance. When shall I gain knowledge by your grace.
47) I am searching for you everywhere. By my search incessantly I am tired and disheartened. Pray lift me from the illusion I am caught in.
48) "Isness" is the truth. Its nature is Peace. When shall I realise it?
49) Both the knowledge and ignorance would leave me once I am blessed with Arul Gnanam -wisdom knowledge.
50) The illusory appearance would vanish once the Reality strikes me.


-----------------------------------------

No comments: